The following swimming pools must be surrounded by an enclosure so as to protect access to them:
- in-ground and semi-inground pools;
- above-ground pools with a wall height of less than 1.2 m at any point above the ground;
- collapsible pools with a wall height of less than 1.4 m.
Dimensions required for an enclosure.
An enclosure required under the Regulations must meet the following characteristics.
- Minimum height of 1.2 m at any point from the ground.
- Maximum spacing of 10 cm between the bars as well as between the ground and the fence.
Door of an enclosure
A door fitted in an enclosure giving access to a swimming pool must:
- be at least 1.2 m high;
- prevent the passage of a spherical object 10 cm in diameter;
- be devoid of any fixing element, projection or perforated part that could facilitate climbing;
- be slatted, if the door is made of chain links with a width of more than 30 mm;
- be equipped with a passive safety device allowing it to close and lock automatically and which can be installed either:
– on the interior side of the enclosure, in the upper part of the door.
– on the outer side of the enclosure, at a minimum height of 1.5 m.
Pool operating devices
- The minimum distance between the pool and its accessories on the ground and any land line on which they are located is one meter fifty (1.50m);
- The minimum distance from any raised patio used for the swimming pool to any lot line is one meter fifty (1.50m);
- The minimum distance between the pool, its accessories on the ground and any building is one meter fifty (1.50m); However, when access to the pool is from a terrace attached to the residence, this terrace can be located less than one meter fifty (1.50m) from any building.
- The swimming pool and its accessories cannot encroach on an easement.
Hedges and shrubs
Hedges or shrubs cannot in any case constitute an enclosure (a protection).
A window located less than 3 m is also authorized if its maximum opening does not allow a spherical object of more than 10 cm in diameter to pass through.
Patio door or house door
Patio door surrounded by a fence to prevent direct access inside the pool enclosure.
The doors should therefore close and lock automatically and the lock on the interior side of the building should be located at least 1.5 m high.